Last week I announced the BIG NEWS that Story Catcher Publishing will open its doors to submissions in the Fall of 2023. But I also said SCP would be offering a different way of supporting indie writers than what other small press publishing houses currently do.
How, you ask?
One way is to publish books WITHOUT future profits in mind. SCP profits, that is. Let me explain…
Indie authors currently have three ways to publish their books:
- Traditional publishers, which usually are closed to anyone not represented by an agent and THOSE creatures are almost as elusive to connect with as running into a leprechaun!
- Self-publish through retailers like Amazon’s KDP. While this doesn’t usually cost much, if anything, to create a book, the entire burden of proofreading, editing, formatting, production set up and marketing is left up to new authors who may not have the training or knowledge to set up their author platform correctly. Amazon also likes exclusivity which can limit an indie writer’s choices of markets or selling opportunities.
- Hybrid-publishers who will publish your book (usually for a hefty price to cover all services needed) but still won’t necessarily have YOUR interests in mind.
This is where Story Catcher Publishing will be different. I have spent the past four years fine tuning and streamlining the publishing processes so that I can release quality picture books, chapter books, and novels at bare bones costs.
I have dreamed for years of giving back to the KidLit community for all the love and support everyone has shown me. Beginning this Fall, each chapter book or novel selected for publishing under the SCP umbrella will reap the following benefits:
- A publishing package for chapter books and novels up to 60,000 words will cost only $550 TOTAL! This covers proofreading, ISBN, cover design, formatting, and production set up for both ebook and paperback titles. This will initially be offered to the first 50 titles accepted by Story Catcher Publishing so we can make sure this pricing covers basic industry costs before rolling it out to the general public. After prior cost analysis, it appears this pricing should be viable but this model needs to be tested in real world applications.
- Ebook distribution will be through Amazon KDP. Paperback will be through IngramSpark to ensure availability to 80,000+ online retailers including B&N, Books A Million, Walmart and others.
- Payments (via Paypal) will be divided into three installments of $150 due with signed contract, $250 due with completion of cover design, and balance of $150 due with completion of paperback production files. (The industry average for these services ranges anywhere from $1,350 to $6,100 or more depending on who you hire to help you.)
- SCP authors will retain 100% royalties to their paperback titles.
- SCP authors will also receive FREE access to support covering websites, author platforms, marketing, sales sheets, blogging, author events, etc.
- SCP authors will receive FREE promotion through our website, blog, online store, and any SCP events including festivals, contests and giveaways.
- If a SCP author should sign with a major literary agency, or a medium to large traditional publishing house where the agent or publisher is interested in re-releasing their existing SCP title, we will amend OUR existing contract and remove the paperback title from our inventory upon proof of a signed contract.
It has always been my hope and dream to support other indie writers on THEIR journey to publication. To me, that means not standing in the way of their future, wherever it may take them.
Well, there you have it. The basics of what Story Catcher Publishing will offer chapter book and novel writers starting this Fall. Next week I’ll share what we will be able to offer writers and writer/illustrators of picture books.
I hope you are as excited about the future of Story Catcher Publishing as I am. Any questions, just drop them in the comments below or send me a private message. I want this to be as transparent as possible.
Jack is afraid of the THING in the closet. Monty is afraid of the LUMP in the bed. One day boy and monster both decide they no longer want to fear what hides in the dark. Both have a plan, but will be surprised by what they discover after A BUMP IN THE NIGHT.
Hybrid published author, Donna L Martin, has been writing since she was eight years old. She is a 4th Degree Black Belt in TaeKwonDo by day and a ‘ninja’ writer of flash fiction, children’s picture books, chapter books, young adult novels and inspirational essays by night. Donna offers occasional BOOK NOOK REVIEWS of great children’s books and offers WRITERLY WISDOM to new and established writers. She is a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators, Alliance of Independent Authors, and Children’s Book Insider. Donna loves dark chocolate, going to the beach and adding to her growing book collection.
Want to connect?
LinkedIn: Donna L Martin/Story Catcher Publishing
Goodreads: Donna L Martin
Mail: Donna L Martin
c/o Story Catcher Publishing
P O Box 27788
Knoxville, Tn 37927