I’m delving into the world of indie publishing. Some authors go the quicker route and use a source like CreateSpace or Kindle Direct to immediately get their books out there.
There’s nothing wrong going that route, but I’ve decided to take a different path.
Even though LUNADAR: Homeward Bound won’t be released in paperback until 2019, it’s never too early to start thinking about what comes next so…
STEP SIX: A GOOD MARKETING PLAN
As an indie author, I won’t have the support and expertise of a publishing company. Any marketing and promoting has to start and end with me. It helps that I’m usually pretty organized since there are so many avenues and different levels to cover in order to give my first book being released from Story Catcher Publishing the best chance at success. Not every author may follow this plan but I’m crossing my fingers it works for me..
Six to twelve months before print release:
- Set up a website, blog, Facebook page, Twitter account, etc. and engage with others.
- Start creating an email list and connect with followers through a newsletter.
- Research my audience. Lunadar’s readers are young adult through adult who enjoy fantasy, romance and adventure. Check out Twitter & Facebook groups to connect with.
- Make a list of local and regional libraries, bookstores, and groups who will connect with Lunadar’s message.
- Reach out to target audience and gather a street team to give a copy of Lunadar’s ebook in exchange for honest book reviews.
- Set up an Amazon author profile and sales page, as well as B & N, Goodreads, etc. and make sure those links are listed on website.
Four to six months before book release:
- Start contacting book clubs, book reviewers, or interested parties for providing an ebook version in exchange for hones reviews. Provide author links for leaving reviews.
- Make a list of bloggers willing to join Lunadar’s book tour. Create list of different angles and topics to be able to cover on each stop of the tour.
- Research local and regional fairs or festival events. Make initial contact for scheduling booths or speaking engagements.
- Put together a media press kit. Create a list of local and regional newspapers, radio, and TV stations for press releases.
- Add book title and author name to Google alert search criteria.
- Set up a marketing calendar to include scheduled blog posts, book signings school visits, and events.
- Load ebook to Amazon’s Create Space, Nook, B&N, and Ingram Spark.
- Create and load book trailer on website and YouTube.
One to four months before book release:
- Contact radio, TV, and newspapers to send media kits and book copies for review. Add any featured review dates to marketing calendar.
- Send press release kits to interested bloggers and book reviewers, along with ebook or paperback copy for review. Add any featured review dates to marketing calendar.
- Schedule book launch party.
- Update website, and social media site with book release info, along with book purchase links.
- Provide newsletter with book release info to email list.
- Drop blog post of book release.
- Run a series of contests and giveaways through website, blog, and social sites.
After book release:
- Review and Google alerts for information to add to media/press kits.
- Remain active on social sites, connecting with others, and thanking anyone leaving book reviews.
As you can see, there is a lot involved in book marketing. It will certainly keep me busy over the next year. Is there anything I overlooked? If you did something different, please leave a comment below…
International best selling, award winning author, Donna L Martin, has been writing since she was eight years old. She is a 4th Degree Black Belt in TaeKwonDo by day and a ‘ninja’ writer of children’s picture books, chapter books, young adult novels and inspirational essays by night. Donna is a BOOK NOOK REVIEWS host providing the latest book reviews on all genres of children’s books, and the host of WRITERLY WISDOM, a resource series for writers. Donna is a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators and Children’s Book Insider. She is a lover of dark chocolate, going to the beach and adding to her growing book collection. Donna’s latest book, My Journey, My Journal, is scheduled to be released by Expert Insights Publishing in the Fall 2018.